Last RD ep. you watched recently

Discussion in 'RED DWARF UNIVERSE' started by sanja, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

What's Bodyswap got to do with that line?

2. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

[​IMG]

3. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

That wasn't a helpful answer.

4. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Skipper

As with seasons 1-6 these Dave-era episodes often have good science-fiction concepts behind them, but I think the difference between the two is that the concepts in the Dave episodes aren't rendered as skillfully as before. The early episodes would weave the big ideas around the plot effortlessly, but now I often feel - as with this episode - the whole thing should have been better. The 'saying the opposite' stuff in the first half for example becomes tiresome fast while the 'so what is it?' scene in White Hole became a Red Dwarf classic.

The second half is the highlight. Nobody delivers those kinds of lines like Norman, and his and Hollister's cameos are very welcome. I would have loved to have seen a reality where somehow Cat was the captain rather than Lister. Danny would have been better than Charles' weak performance.

Asclepius likes this.
  5. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

I think Craig was good. The thing is that Lister and Rimmer are the classic pair of the show. It just wouldn't fit to the Red Dwarf chemistry.

6. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I always feel there's too much Lister in almost every episode though. It would have been nice to see a relatively rare Rimmer/Cat scene. I also thought Charles was very weak here. His worst Red Dwarf performance since Spanners.

7. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

Why not upload a video of yourself showing Mr Charles how it SHOULD be done in your opinion?!

Asclepius likes this.
  8. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Because it's not my job to teach people how to act.

9. Ant E

Ant E Science Officer

I have quantifiable reservations!
    Your behaviour round here suggests otherwise

10. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

I agree with you on more Rimmer/Cat scenes. It is an unexplored segment on Red Dwarf.
    But you can't delete Lister! He is the main character, so it's not surprising it's too much of him in every episode, although I think there weren't lot of stories about him in XI and XII.

11. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

I see both him and Rimmer as the main characters. And I just feel that Lister gets overused when other characters could do certain scenes.

12. UltraDevotee

UltraDevotee Catering Officer

Back to Earth.

Watched as the whole director's cut and unlike in my last Dwarfathon - when I appreciated it more - this time I could see more of its flaws. It is like Doug is trying to get back on his writing space bike as it simply isn't as tight as even series 7/8 while the acting didn't look as natural as it used to. A few scenes - like Rimmer dancing to the music - were a bit cringeworthy as well.

Still, it did have some plus points in that there were some funny lines and a dramatic, emotive quality like series 7 especially towards the end when Kochanski reappears. The story was alright but it ultimately didn't feel like the old Red Dwarf, unfortunately. However, it is the closest we will probably ever get to a Red Dwarf movie in its Director's Cut form and it was launching point for the subsequent, superior series 10-12 so an overall rating of 6 out of 10 is fair.

13. UltraDevotee

I watched BtE in the afternoon and then Trojan in the evening on Thursday and that 2nd episode was a relief to be honest. True Trojan is not a classic but it is certainly very good and the closest in feel to a series 3-6 episode in almost 20 years. While the humour is not continuously insanely comical like the scripts co-written with Rob Grant, it is funny throughout and the story is the best thing about it. It was a welcome, innovative idea by Doug to do a plot with one of Rimmer's brothers and the way all the plots combined at the end - as they often did in series 10 - made for a clever pay off with the resentment drive destroying the simulant. A pleasurable, strong first effort for the first full series in 12 years!

14. UltraDevotee

Of the other episodes of series 10 that I have watched in the past few days here are some more thoughts.

Lemons - I know some people are not keen on this but this is one of my favourites of the 2012 run after being initially disappointed by it on first broadcast. It is one of the funniest episodes of 10 with a religious theme which is not offensive but instead amusing. I know some people were disappointed in the logic of the rejuvenation shower and the plot hole of how the Dwarfers travelled to India but Backwards and Tikka to Ride which are widely viewed as classics had all sorts of inconsistencies and people don't criticise them so much. As long as like with those series 3 and 7 openers you don't take its realism too seriously it is a quality episode. Rating 8.5 or 9 out of 10.

Entangled - The quantum rods producing entanglement/coincidence and all the plot twists give it a classic series 4/5 feel. Loved the gags with Rimmer's safety forms too. Not quite a total classic but very, very good. Rating 8.5 out of 10.

Dear Dave - when I watch this I either think it is poor or actually just about above average and this afternoon I felt the latter which was pleasing. While it is certainly not the most sophisticated episode ever, as a cobbled together at the last minute effort to create a series 1/2, bottle episode just set on the Dwarf then it is actually quite good. The sub-plot about Rimmer avoiding being demoted was a bit weaker but the letters one - even though it is a recall of Better Than Life - makes the episode for me. In fact there are some of the most comedy gold moments of the series in this show like the subutteo preparations from Rimmer, vying for letters and finger wetting machine gag (vintage Dwarf) but the last line was a regrettable way for the end credits to then roll. Still overall although it is certainly the weakest episode of the series, as a lonely series 1/2 vibe concerning one it gets a rating of 7 out of 10 from me and is just about worthwhile.

Right anyway, better watch The Beginning right now!

15. roebeet

roebeet Second Technician

I also just rewatched most of Series 10 (been re-ripping my Blurays) and I still love Lemons. Never understood the dislike for it.

The whole Series 10 in general I enjoy - I tend to spot watch certain shows in Series 7 and Series 8 is basically just Cassandra for me. But Series 10 I can definitely play all the the way through.

Mardroid and UltraDevotee like this.
  16. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

And what's your opinion on Series XI and XII?

17. UltraDevotee

Although I think series 11/12 are superior to series 10, 10 is a very strong and solid effort for most of the way through and Lemons I think is underrated and classic Dwarf to me. So I am glad to see there is another Lemons fan.

18. Bluey

Bluey Science Officer

Krysis

Well a week ago I said it was an episode that I needed to get round to rewatching, so I decided to do so last night. This is a really good episode, and one that's improved with a rewatch, which is usually a sign of good quality. It's Dominic Coleman who steals the show as Butler, now one of my favourite guest characters in the whole of Dwarf. The storyline is a good one too - unusual and unpredictable, culminating with the space station scene with the Dwarfers talking to the universe on an old phone, which feels very Douglas Adams. The space station looked great as well. The visuals have been really impressive these last few seasons. The only bad point was the acting of Charles and Barrie. I still think they have a tendency to overact in these later seasons and their performances make me nostalgic for their more subtle performances of old.

19. Kittypaws

Kittypaws Flight Co-Ordinator

Back To Reality.

20. Asclepius

Asclepius Deck Sergeant

I watched this one today at Trpaslicon and I must say it improves with every rewatch. I didn't know what to think about it at first, then I quite hated it. Now I like it. I've got used to some annoying parts as the unusual storyline.
    Czech dubbing improved Krysis a lot IMHO. James Bond dubber was cast for Butler and he's fantastic.